Saturday, September 23, 2006

Dragonflies

It seems events of late have swamped my blogtime! My apologies to all of you have built up (unread) in my Bloglines account, but I'm beat. But it's good.

We've been a bit busy since we got here, but the addition of Greek last year certainly changed things! Now that I'm third semester, I honestly put in about four hours of homework for each class (and that's without continuing to memorize so I can pass the proficiency test). So, you might ask, "Is it really worth it?" I ask the same thing on a weekly basis, especially when I'm trying to do a good job at work and at home, but the answer is, "Yes." For those of you who have read the Tolkien trilogy, it's the difference between seeing the movies and reading the books. The movies are great, but there's a level of understanding you get from the book that you just can't match with film. Most people don't need it, but it's great to have a book-reading friend around when the movie gets confusing, especially the first time you see it. That's Greek--it's great to have someone around who can fill us in when the confusing stuff comes up or add the insight that reveals the beauty and mastery of the Word.

Truth is, I'm developing a kind of discipline that I've needed for years and it pays off in other ways. I'm thoroughly enjoying teaching with Wildlife (and, believe it or not, Greek helps; it's amazing the confidence that school builds). I'm enjoying our new Pruitt Saturday Sabbaths (I stayed up till 4 to keep a promise to do no work or school today and it was totally worth it). And... I'm enjoying coaching the Dragonflies! That's right, we just can't keep away from coaching one of the girls! Soccer with three players makes our schedule a bit tough, but the time in the community and the chance to cheer for our daughters make it all worth it (tough is just part of the package for a few more years). Today's game was excellent--it is amazing when you can see 4-year-olds responding to practice and coaching. Today we stopped the ball and turned it around. We've been working on that one skill for two weeks and today they all did it.

It seems I'm learning that I love the chance to teach. Period. 4-year-olds. Junior High. You name it. But most of all, I like to see it work.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Thanks for working so hard to get your stuff done for Saturdays!

f1rststory said...

heh. i can relate to the coaching stuff. And I agree - completely. As for the greek...ummm...i'll just stick with the german and russian i know - that's good enough...hahahaha

did you do that logo? looks good. ;)

f1rststory said...

oh yeah - 2 more things...
1 - your napolean speech site link doesn;t work
2 - I met Bill Taylor in DC - started F@stCompany - super smart guy...

lisa said...

I like the logo too. I'm guessing the dragon fly is the goalie...hmmmm.

Steve said...

Those are all legs ;-)

Thanks Tim--I drew everyhitng but the soccer ball.